THAT REQUIRES NEW FORMS OF PROCESSING TO ENABLE ENHANCED DECISION MAKING, INSIGHT DISCOVERY AND PROCESS OPTIMIZATION TO CREATE VALUE
WHAT: A Collection of Datasets so large and complex it becomes difficult to process using on-hand DB management tools or traditional data processing applications
WHERE: Big data limitations are generally present in; Meteorology, Genomics, Complex physics simulations. Increasingly, an issue in the Oil and Gas, Power Generation /Transmission industries.
WHY: Data sets grow in size in part because they are increasingly being gathered by information sensing mobile devices, remote sensing, software logs, cameras, Microphones, wireless sensors, etc.
BIG DATA MEETS BIG OIL
Traditionally referred to as High Performance Computing (HPC), Big Data has provided significant advances in nuclear research, mineral exploration, material sciences, and computer modelling over the last decade.
BIGOIL has been doing BIG DATA since before it was #trending.
BIGDATA IN OIL&GAS
- Exploration, Production & Regulatory
- Exploration techniques utilize data collected from tens of thousands of square miles
- Prevent incidents due to inaccessible, real time data like rapid variations in pressure
- Example: Joslyn Creek SAGD Blowout, May 2006
- Refining and Manufacturing
- Constant process innovation as technology develops
- Increased complexity
- Identify impurities and reduce waste
- higher quality crude = higher selling price
- Consolidated Operations Centres
- Operational Excellence Teams
- Expansion to multiple geographic markets
- Global supply chain
- Broad operational functions
- Centralize information housed in numerous systems
- Safety & Asset Longevity
- Access accurate information regarding the state of equipment, facilities and processes
- Maintain quality information year-to-year, visibility into asset health – proactively plan maintenance, reduce downtime
- Management of on-site spares
BIGDATA & ISOLUTIONS
iSolutions currently offers technical support that comprises essential segments of big data applications that include:
- Historian architecture design and implementation
- Data collection and storage strategies for the rapid growth rate of incoming data
- Field Data Capture System set-up for diverse data sources
- Data reporting and analysis that provides actionable insights from the large amount of data stored
- Decision analysis tools
The upstream oil & gas industry faces the difficulty of uncovering valuable behaviours and patterns due to the fast growing number of sources in the process.
BIGDATA OR BIGDOLLARS?
Done well, a big data initiative can result in a big pay-off.
The trick is to first identify the right operational & engineering problems for which a big data approach can bring value.
Project ideas for the oil & gas space can include:
- ESP pump failure prediction
- Steam coning detection
- Real time drill monitoring
- Steam rate optimization
iSolutions can assist you in this space.
WHERE ARE YOU?
WHERE DOES YOUR PROJECT OR ORGANIZATION EXIST ON THE BIG DATA SPECTRUM?
- How automated is your data capture?
- Is your data correct?
CAN YOU KEEP UP?
In recent years it’s been observed that the number and variety of data sources is growing as a result of increasing storage capacity and exponentially faster processing capabilities aligned with Moore’s law:
ISOLUTIONS CAN HELP YOU MAKE BUSINESS SENSE OUT OF YOUR DATA, PREDICT TRENDS BASED ON DATA COLLECTED, AND CREATE VALUE OUT OF YOUR DATA ASSETS THROUGH SCALEABLE INFRASTRUCTURE.
Download a copy of BigData: